Saturday, October 12, 2013

Previous trip to Korea. Month of august 2013

Recently I had just returned from my first 7 hour flight to Korea. It was back in Augusts. First Impression at the airport? Much better than I had expected really, its standard is much better than Malaysia where you have to walk to your plane, whereas at the airport in Korea, there are shuttle bus for pickup. "I feel wet" I told myself, because the weather there in Busan (Korea) was hot like Malaysia and its very damp, sweats was dripping down my brows. Luckily it the walking journey wasn't far away to the nearest LRT station. A relief to my fellow classmates who travel together, to get some cool air inside the train. We traveled, I think about 30 minutes to our destination, to our hostel near the beach of Busan. I was really excited to see the homestay/hostel for the first time. It was rather surprising and modern, equipped with most modern household appliances, a nice bed sharing with another 7 person in a room, a kitchen for preparing our own breakfast, as well as the most clean toilet I have ever seen in a sharing basis. The most funny experience or you could call it weird, is because the bathroom is a jointed bathroom, meaning 3 showers combined together without any doors, I was bathing while waiting for my friends to turn up, but none did, because all of them are waiting for turn to enter. Why this? Its because of cultural clash or rather culture shock. I would say that the "Southern Asian" people are less prone to sharing toilets and having water-less toilet and might have some difficulties adjusting to it while having a long stay in northern Asian countries like Japan or Korea for example. I often wondered when I was there. "why is everything is the same everywhere?" You cans see the exact same type of wooden flooring in 2 different district that is 5 hours drive away. Even the toilet concepts are the exact same, you don't have a water hose inside and you will see a dustbin for littering. I have to say, the most notable similarities they have around in Korea is their alarm system, It's called ADT. Don't get me wrong about their properties being the same from the same company. I thought that, it was probably because the Government has a policy of allowing the number of companies creating the same thing, and that's certain companies are monopolizing the market. As well as to avoid too much taxation to the companies that may emerge and may not be able to attain enough business. Foood! one of the main reason why i wanted to go to Korea. As a culinary student, its a curiosity of mine to explore new food that exists in other country and cultures. As we all can expect from Korea, they have lots and lots of Kimchi. But, this time is not just all about that, its about the main dishes as well. The most bizarre seafood i had is like a worm, bloated, large and red. By the time it was served to my table, it was still moving. Worst part is I could see the worm's tooth or rather thorn because it was hard like aluminium toothpick. Myself, I am a person who is highly phobic towards worms and anything that looks like worm, due to my previous injury. And now i have to try eating one? "I hate myself" seriously, sometimes i wanted to do something that is beyond my likings. Thus without further delay, i picked up a lettuce, pick a small piece of the moving worm, add some soy sauce and wasabi. I hesitated for a while before biting into the moving worm. I was sort of terrified of putting a worm into my mouth, but i did. The taste is hard to describe, but it was super crunchy, it does not feel like I am eating a sea worm. Its so crunchy and loud white biting it. I did not really enjoyed the taste and texture, but it was a good experience to the beginning of the dining journey in Korea.

1 comment:

2012467338 said...

Hi Bill. You've written a good personal account of your trip. Elaboration on the worm eating experience would enhance as your marks.